This is another project that I didn’t have to purchase anything for. All you need is mod podge (or slightly watered down white glue), tissue paper, a sharpie or paint pen, and a jar. I was originally going to attach the tissue paper directly onto a pillar candle (which does work, I’ve done it before) but I didn’t have any pillar candles at home and I was too cheap to buy one. But I did have an empty jar, so I decided to use that.
The first thing you have to do is a little math. Measure the height of the jar. I didn’t include the lip of the jar because I didn’t want my argyle pattern there. My jar was 4-3/4″ tall minus the lip. That will be the height of your diamonds. Then measure the circumference of the jar. Mine was 9-1/4″. Since you’ll be making 4 diamonds, divide that number by 4. That measurement will be the width of your diamonds. On a piece of scrap paper, make a symmetrical diamond with these 2 numbers you’ve just figured out. This piece will be a pattern. With this pattern piece, cut out a total of 4 diamonds in whatever colors you’d like. Use either 1 or 2 colors. I used 2. You may want to cut out some extras just in case.
Take a third color of tissue paper and cut a piece large enough to cover the whole jar. It’s a good idea to use something light like white or cream. You can use a color, but remember if you do, when you put your diamonds on top of it, it will change the color of the diamonds. So make sure that the changed color will be attractive. For example, if you use a base color of yellow and then put blue diamonds on it, you’re finished product will feature green diamonds. If you cover that yellow base with purple diamonds, you will most likely get a hideous brown. I used cream.
Working in sections, put mod podge on your jar and place your tissue paper on the top. Brush a layer on top of the paper, too. Try not to make too many brush strokes or your paper will start to fall apart. As I started this step, I made sure my tissue paper was nice and straight so I would have a nice, neat seam in the back. I left a little flap of excess paper at that seam so that once the mod podge was dry, I could easily cut off the excess. Once your jar is covered, cover the whole thing with mod podge. Wait for the jar to dry and put another coat on the jar. Trim off any excess once the jar is dry.
Once it’s dry, apply more mod podge where one of your diamonds will go. Then place a diamond on your jar and cover it with more mod podge. Do the same with your other diamonds. I only did 2 before letting it dry so that I wasn’t trying to hold the jar where it was wet. Once it was dry, I did the remaining 2. Since the base layer has been thoroughly coated and is dry, if you make a mistake during this part, you can just wipe it up and start again without damaging the base. Wait for everything to dry and then put a few more coats of mod podge on it. Make sure to carefully line the diamonds up when you place them. I thought about measuring them to make sure it was straight, but it was pretty easy to just do it by eye.
Once everything is dry, make very small marks at the center of each diamond and the center of the bases of the triangles (the cream ones for me). It’s difficult to see here. Click on the picture below to enlarge it and you’ll see what I mean.
Using something flexible with a straight edge (I used a piece of cardstock), connect the dots as pictured below to create an argyle pattern. Connect them with a dotted line. I used a sharpie, but you could use a paint pen, too.
Then I had to figure out how to cover the lip of the jar. I took 2 pieces of tissue paper, lightly covered them with mod podge and stuck them together. Then I put another coat on the top. This left me with the appearance of 3 colors. When it was dry, I flipped it over and coated it again. I end up folding it to get the right thickness. What I ended up with is basically a tissue paper/mod podge ribbon. I did this step on a piece of plastic wrap so it was really easy to peel the paper off when it was dry. Because I used my 2 diamond colors, it gave it an interesting striped appearance. Once it was dry, I hot glued it to my jar. I followed that up by tying a black ribbon around it.
The only thing left was to put a candle in it. I think it turned out pretty cute. I think next time I’ll do it directly on the candle.